Home Security Tips to Follow
- Purchase the highest level security that your budget will allow.
- High level security is recommended by the Police Department and Insurance Companies.
- Use the best quality locks to secure gates leading to your fire escape.
- Turn off the telephone ringer when you are away from home for an extended period. An unanswered telephone signals to intruders that no one is home.
- Install a 180-degree peephole so that you can inspect your hallway without opening your door.
- Ask to see the identity of someone claiming to be from the utility or telephone company. A genuine worker will be pleased that you asked and will give you their card. Inspect the card carefully before allowing them to enter your home.
- Re-key your locks immediately if you lose your key.
- Ask your locksmith for a valid license, he must carry one.
- When in doubt, ask for advice from your locksmith or from the Crime Prevention Officer at your local precinct.
Suggested “TO DO” tips to enhance your home security:
- Leave a spare key outside your home. Most hiding places are obvious to intruders.
- Leave your keys in or near the lock where it might easily be seen and taken by a thief.
- Mark your keys with your identification or address.
- If you have a telephone answering machine, do not leave a message revealing that you are away from home.
- Never leave notes on your door, even when you’re at home.
- Tune the stereo or TV to your favorite station when you leave the house to indicate to an intruder that someone is at home.
- If you leave a spare key outside, be creative.
- Burglars routinely check under flowerpots and welcome mats and on window ledges.
- Install a security system.